Friday, May 4, 2007

Chicken with Sweet Pickles

Every time I call my mom, cousins or a friend, I would always ask them what is good to cook or easy to make after a hard day from work? "Adobo" chicken or pork or beef will always come up. I've cooked it so many times so I really need something new to surprise my husband and son.
Few days back my husband and I were munching with some crunchy baby sweet pickles and so I thought, why not cook a dish with some sweet pickles. And I happened to know one which is chicken with sweet pickles. Back home in the Phillippines it is normally serve during Fiesta time or special occasion. And the smell of it will make you hungry for it. But ofcourse it can be served also on any regular day also.

So I've looked for the recipe and found it in my recipe book. As always I will subtract some or add some ingredients according to our taste and to make it my own. I do this so I could cook it according to the taste of my family. I have the pickiest people that I needed to think of and to feed, none other than my husband, our unico hijo and moi ofcourse.

So for our dinner Chicken with Sweet Pickles it is. My husband and I love to eat baby crunchy sweet pickles for snacks and our son likes sweet and tangy taste so it will do.


Ingredients:
Chicken skinless cut to desired size
1 onion
3 tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic
1 cup of sweet pickles cut thinly (put aside the juice from the pickles)
1/2 cup of sweet pickle relish
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper ( optional for added color)
2 siling labuyo crushed or pinch of red pepper flakes
soy sauce,vinegar and sugar
1 can of vienna sausage cut diagonaly (if you have kids this will be a hit but this is optional)

Procedure:
Saute garlic,onion and tomato then add the chicken and your "siling labuyo" or a pinch or two of the red pepper flakes. When chicken is almost done add the sweet pickles and its juice. Let it simmer for a few minutes then add your soy sauce,vinegar and sugar according to your taste. Add the vienna sausage and red bell pepper last. Serve with steam rice and garden salad will be perfect.

No comments: