Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lumpiang Shanghai






Lumpiang Shanghai is one appetizer that you will always see in any filipino gatherings. Well, there are different version of Lumpia, Lumpiang gulay, Lumpiang ubod, Fresh Lumpia and ofcourse Lumpiang Shanghai.


Lumpiang Shanghai is our favorite not just when theres' a gathering but on any regular day and it is my son's favorite. See the picture? I am unable to fill it because he keeps on coming back to the kitchen while I am cooking, so he could eat the cooked "lumpiang shanghai".

Anyway, my work schedules been sporadic, business been in a slow phase lately. But can't complain because when I am not in the office, I get paid while working at home and I am able to take care of my son. But last week, my work have schedule changed. I've been busy working (both home and office) and will be also this coming week and then back to sporadic scheds again? Maybe. Anyway, I decided to make a whole bunch of "shanghai". I've cooked some and put the rest in the freezer for future use. Working on my lesson plan plus working straight for a few days or weeks, I think it would be better that after work, I would make an easy to cook meal plus the shanghai to add to it and it would be just perfect for the three of us.


For "Lumpiang Shanghai" I bought, "lumpia" wrapper or spring roll wrapper, ground meat,onion finely chopped, 1 or cloves of garlic, carrots, "kinchay" or chinese celery,soy sauce and pepper. (thank God for food processor, it made everything so easy).
How I made it? Actually, others just mixed all ingredients put in the wrapper and will be deep fried when time comes.
Well, what I do is I saute the garlic,onion then add the meat, and other ingredients. Add half a cup of water and let it simmer for few minutes. Let it cool down before wrapping it. I do this so that it is fully cooked versus to not simmering it, theres a chance that the meat will still be pink even though its been deep fried. And I cant have that especially that my son loves eating it. So this lumpiang shanghai recipe is from my Auntie.






No comments: