Monday, September 24, 2007

Chopsuey

"Eat your vegetables!"

I could still recall as if it was just yesterday that my mother was asking me to eat my vegetables. She will go on and on how good it was for me and that I would not get sick as often by eating lots of it. I would normally eat my vegetables but there are some that I would not eat like the "ginisang ampalaya" which now I love eating and the "talbos ng camote" which up to now I can not eat. But one dish that my mother wont have to ask me twice to eat my vegetables is when she prepared chopsuey for lunch or dinner. I love eating them then and I love eating them till now. I dont know why I love it, maybe because of the different colors of the vegetables, the sauce, taste of different vegetables blend well together or perhaps because it has shrimp,chicken,beef or pork. No matter what I would eat it with much "gusto" . It is our family's all the time order also when we eat out in any restaurant. So maybe that's why I love eating it. I love eating it with hot steaming rice and "toyo at calamansi" on the side. Yummm.

Anyway I have cooked it before when I got married but end up having lots of left over and I am the only one eating them. So I stop cooking them till last nite, I tried once again to cook them. As I've said in my earlier post spring came and we hardly eat any kind of red meat. It has been poultry,fish and plenty of green salad for the past few months. So I thought of cooking chopsuey to give it another try. Result? My son ate the carrots and a little bit of broccoli. My husband took it to work for his lunch. So I guess, I've got a better result this time. I'm not going to push it and cook it again sometime soon but I'll be definitely cooking it again in the future.



Ingredients: Mixed vegetables: any combination of broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, snow peas, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, the chicken, pork, beef and shrimp are all optional.

Procedure: In a pan heat oil, saute garlic and onion then chicken till brown. add shrimp till pink then stir fry all the mixed vegetables. add your sauce...combination of soy sauce,cornstarch and a little bit of sugar. Let it simmer till the sauce thickens and vegetables are half cooked.



So chopsuey was prepared on our "meza" for simple and healthy dinner.

No comments: